The Bikini Season isn't over yet; especially when Mr. Sun is scorching with a vengeance! So, when you are in need of some crash diet or simply wants to serve your family a healthy chicken dish, try making this easy Chicken Kebabs with a twist: skewered in lemongrass served with a garlic seasoned yogurt.
What's more great about this is that you can prepare this ahead of time then just grill it prior to serving. Bring this to your next grill/barbecue party or let this be your perfect beach baon.
Original recipe for this can be found from Yummy Book: "Menu for a Month" and I just twitched it a bit to suit our taste.
Here's how to do it: (makes 5 kebabs)
5 lemongrass stalks
300 - 400 grams of chicken breast fillet (without skin and cut into cubes)
2 large onions; quartered
3 medium bell peppers (red, green and yellow), sliced into an inch cube
juice from 1 lemon (about 2 1/2 tbsp) (Original Recipe calls for lime)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper
about 1 tbsp of cilantro leaves (not included in O.R.)
1 cup yogurt
2 tsp of garlic powder (O.R. calls for just 1/4 tsp)
1 clove minced garlic (not included in O.R.)
tip: If you are a vegetarian, sub the chicken cubes with some firm tofu.
1) Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well.
* save the empty lemon halves if desired for garnish.
2) Clean and trim the lemongrass stalks about 8-inch long and cut the tips diagonally to create a pointed angle.
3) Prepare to assemble your kebab and skewer alternately the bell pepper- chicken cube- onion.
tip: the tip of the lemongrass even at a pointed angle is not that sturdy for the chicken and veggies so use a barbecue stick to pre-hole them before transferring to the lemongrass.
4) Pour the marinade in the chicken kebabs at a shallow plate and let marinate stand for at least 30 minutes. BEST if overnight.
5) Make the seasoned yogurt by combining all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes before serving for a more outstanding garlic flavor.
5) When desired marinating time has elapsed, pre-heat your grille and grill kebab for about 3 minutes on each side. Brush with more marinade while grilling.
6) If using the lemon halves for garnish, trim a little its bottom for it to stand on its own. Use it as mini-bowls and pour into them the seasoned yogurt and serve alongside the grilled chicken kebabs.
Voila! Done! Serve and enjoy plus maybe do some party party by the pool or by the beach! All you have to is order some mojitos! Have a sizzling summer! =)
P.S. If you are planning to have some summer fling, MAKE SURE to brush your teeth and gargle some mouthwash and pop some mints before smooching! =)
Happy Eating! =)