Mytaste.ph

Martes, Abril 3, 2012

Homemade Black Sesame Ice Cream


I know...... I know I said I would stop posting sweet luscious treat this week and would resume doing so on Easter, BUT it was such a rarity that I was able to buy some sour cream at the grocery last night, that I just really felt the urge to buy some and use it.

Remember when I told you not to throw the egg whites from making that custard base Homemade Green Tea Ice Cream? This is where you can finally use it.

In my opinion, making ice cream this way is much easier than the custard base ones. Although, if you are not careful in combining ingredients, you'll end up having a "sour creaminess" flavor in your ice cream which is something you and I doesn't want. I have been making different ice cream flavours using this recipe as base. Again, I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com and just played with it most of the time.

These are just some of the homemade Ice Creams I made using this recipe:

"Cappuccino Ice Cream with dark choco chunks"

"Mangoes and Cream" 

"Strawberries and Cream" 
(but this one in particular, I subbed the sour cream with yogurt; it tasted great but it melts easily)

"Black Sesame Ice Cream"

Last night, I made one of my favorite flavors again: Black Sesame. 

Here's how to do it: (good for 1-2 servings)

These are the ingredients you'll need:


- about 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup powdered/caster sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream

1) Toast 2 tbsp of black sesame seeds in a hot pan until it "pops" (like pop corns). Remove from heat.


2) Set aside 1 tbsp of that and ground it using mortar and pestle. Set aside.


3) In a glass or metal mixing bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foamy while gradually adding the powdered sugar; continue to do so until soft peaks form.




4) Add in 3 tsp of grounded toasted black sesame seeds and 3 tsp of whole toasted black sesame seeds.



5) Fold in 1/3 cup sour cream.



6) Transfer the mixture to the freezer covered with some aluminum foil. Freeze it and stir it every 30 minutes or so until frozen. 

Note: I usually get to do this twice only, and the result is still good. Although, stirring it every once in a while until frozen ensures that your ice cream won't form any ice crystals.

7) Ta-da!!! =)


I really like Black Sesame, it is NUTTY and EARTHY and because of its strong flavor, it successfully masked off the sour cream component of this Ice Cream. You should give it a try! =)

P.S. If you are wondering if I was able to use successfully the Philip's Delizia Ice Cream Maker this time, the answer is NO, it still was not working. =(

Well, it is good to know though, that even without any ice cream maker around, we can churn our own ice cream and load it with favorite ingredients and toppings! =)

Happy Eating! =)


1 komento: