Mytaste.ph

Martes, Mayo 1, 2012

1st attempt on My Mother's Creamy Bouillabaisse


My mother was a great cook and she used to make the meanest Creamy Bouillabaisse I have ever tasted in my entire life. Even those we try from fine-dining restos does not even come close to my Mother's bouillabaisse.It's just soooo sad that she did not leave any written recipe on how to make it. And it's only now that I regret not paying enough attention to her when she was busy making this in the kitchen.This dish is so lavish with all the pricey seafood ingredients, that she used to make it only when there was a special occasion.

God knows how much I, and the whole family misses my dearest Mother; so to appease our longing for her and our palate for the great food she used to make, I attempted to copy her bouillabaisse; basing it on taste and texture of how I remembered it. It turned out well and it's really tasty and yummy, although I think I missed 1 or 2 key ingredients; and maybe even if I perfect this dish after a couple of times, her version of this dish will still remain the unbeatable best for me. And yes, this won't be my last creamy bouillabaisse recipe. I won't stop until I get "that" same taste like my Mothers.

Here's how you can do my first version of it:

Ingredients: (for 6-8 servings)

1/2 kg of "tahong"(mussels) and 1/2 kg of "halaan" (clams)

1/2 kg of shrimp


2 pcs medium-large "alimasag" (crab); legs detached and body sliced into 2 portions.


1/4 kg of squid; ink sacs and spine removed; sliced into little squares.

3 stalks of celery, cubed
1 medium carrot, cubed
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium white onion, minced
2 shrimp bouillon/ cubes
4 tbsp of flour
4 tbsp of butter
1 cup of evaporated milk

Directions:

1) In a stockpot, boil enough water for the clams and mussels. Add a bit of sea salt to flavor the stock. Once boiling, add in the clams and mussels and wait for it to open up its shells. Remove from heat and drain the mussels and clams but DO NOT THROW THE CLAM and MUSSEL JUICE. Discard any shells that did not open.


2) Let them cool and get the meat of the mussels and clams. Set aside.


3) I then made a thick roux. In a pan, toast 4 tbsp of flour, then add in the 4 tbsp of  butter and 1 cup of milk. Whisk until thick but smooth.



4) In another stockpot, saute the garlic, onions and celery in some vegetable oil. Saute just until fragrant.


5) Add the shrimp.


6) Then the crab, and saute until they turn orange.


7) Add in the diced carrots and the bell peppers.


8) Pour in back the clam and mussel juice. About 2 liters and season with 2 shrimp cubes. Let it boil.



9) Once boiling, add in the squid, clam and mussel meat; and the thick roux. Mix well and let it boil to thicken. Mix until smooth and creamy.




10) Voila! A hearty, creamy seafood soup waiting to be devoured!






This turned out well. The flavors of the sea blended well together in this creamy, rich seafood broth. Although I think its still not quite like my Mothers. How regretful I am for not being so attentive to her when she made this for us. I think she added some All purpose cream and bits of cheese. I'll definitely try to incorporate that on my next attempt of recreating this dish.

It was also good timing that when I served this, the rain started to pour heavily. The super sunny days are finally over. And during the 1st day of May, rain was welcomed back. May this be a symbolism of more pouring in of blessings for the days to come. =)

I miss my Mother everyday and all I can do now is thank her in Heaven for all the things she gave and taught us. 

Happy Eating! =)

5 komento:

  1. All fields regarding dental care continue to grow because people consider better care of
    their the teeth next ever before. Brand new technology has lead to methods that are not
    since painful as in the past, motivating individuals in the future set for dental
    treatments. Individuals are additionally dwelling lengthier, thus their the teeth need to
    go longer.

    Emergency Dentist Rockland

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Thanks for sharing, sa lahat ng na checked ko na recipe nito, only yours is the closest one that I've been looking for, pati itsura, pareho tau na hindi nag pay attention the way our parents cooked when they're still alive, (it's my papa naman), oh well kaya ito trying everything na magaya un, I'll try this and will post again, thanks again ��

    TumugonBurahin
  3. Thank you @celineny for appreciating. :) Your comment makes me want to go back to blogging. If only I wasn't too busy with the kids. Anyway, please let me know how it goes when you try making this dish. Best of luck to you! :)

    TumugonBurahin
  4. Hi, I just made this yesterday, addtl menu for thanksgiving, and I'm proud to say that I made it the way I tasted it before. I followed your instructions and added 1/2 stick of butter and addtl 4tbsp of flour, to get that creaminess look and taste. I boiled the head of the shrimps and used that for broth. My family loved it (w/crackers), it's super yummy! Now I have a new recipe to save, thanks again��

    TumugonBurahin
  5. Very informative blog about Dentist. To know more about Dental Treatments, check out Sri Sakthi dental clinic

    TumugonBurahin