Mytaste.ph

Sabado, Marso 17, 2012

COMFORT FOOD: Microwaved POTATO-BACON-CORN Chowder




When I come home from work (night out with friends are now a rarity) on a Saturday night, I instantly feel lethargic. It could be that conscious thinking that the week is almost over, a week of “hard” labor; and that I really need and deserve something really lavish to relieve me. But if I can’t find my masseur or have my mani/pedi, that can only mean I’m in dire need of some comfort food. That, for me can just mean 2 things, something sweet or something warm, yummy and filling; AND something really really FAST to make; since I can’t wait to get to bed.

Tonight is one of those Saturdays, plus the fact that I am a sea away from my husband. It could have just been officially a forlorn night, but I didn't let it be. I have made myself some treat that instantly made me feel coddled; and that when I drift to my dreams tonight, there will be a smile on my face.

I made some chowder with almost all of my favorite ingredients. For who doesn’t love bacon, corn and baked (which really means microwaved! super easy and fast!) potatoes? =)

Ingredients: (good for 4 servings)

1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 large potatoes
3 cups chicken stock (I placed 2 chicken broth cubes to 3 cups of water)
4 strips of bacon, chopped
1 tetra pack (1 cup) of All purpose cream
generous dash of basil
1 can of cream of corn (425 g)
salt and pepper to taste
a tbsp of cornstarch (or 2 tbsp flour)
a handful of shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Clean or scrub the potato; prick several times using fork and place on a microwaveable plate. Cook on High for 5 minutes; turn over to cook the other side for another 5 minutes. Slice into cubes and set aside.

*Yes, I intentionally left it with skin on, they say it has more vitamins. =)




In a stock pan, put chopped bacon strips and let it cook in its own oil. When cooked to desired crispness, set aside and leave about a tbsp of its drippings to the pan.




Saute the garlic and onion to the pan until fragrant; then add in the chicken stock. Season with dried basil and salt and pepper.




Then, add the microwaved potatoes, All purpose cream and cream of corn. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.




While simmering, bring back to the pan the crisp bacon, and leave some for garnish.


Simmer for a couple of minutes. If you want your chowder to be a little thicker, get some soup to a small bowl and dissolve in it 1 tbsp of cornstarch (or 2 tbsp of flour). Incorporate it back to the pan.


Simmer for another 3 minutes until thick.

Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish it with more bacon and a handful of shredded cheddar.


This is so easy, it will take you about less than 30 minutes to make this.

Now, dig in. Burp. Leave the dishes and do it the next day. Brush your teeth and tuck into your blankets. Smile. Sleep. Have a gooooooooood night! =)

Happy Eating! =)

1 komento: