Mytaste.ph

Martes, Marso 13, 2012

PAD THAI CRAVINGS




Right now, I am in a place I call Narnia. I stay here almost all the days of the week now since I married my husband.

Narnia may not be exactly the best place to stay for a foodie like me, who craves for food adventures every now and then by trying out different restos and new cuisines that the metro readily offers. It also sucks that the only “semi” fine –dining place I found here when I arrived, closed a few months back after its manager committed suicide; seriously.  There was also once an authentic Italian restaurant that opened late last year, but it also closed after the New Year. Let’s just say that the palate of most of the people here in Narnia is not that open to “foreign” foods. This dilemma became so obvious with my oblivious husband after hearing my longing and complaints whenever I crave for something that isn't available here. I, on the other hand got tired from my tantrums and just got used to what he always say: “Wag mong hanapin yung wala, mag settle ka sa kung anong meron” (Don't look for things that are not here, and just settle to what’s available). But I refuse to settle, I am just really not the type who enjoys the same dishes over and over again. And so whenever I crave for some Asian fusion cuisines, which is almost always, I’d end up making my own version of whatever it is using ingredients available here. 

Tonight, I am missing KRUNG THAI, the Thai resto my Mom and I used to go to whenever were in the Marikina Market area. Last time I was there, I made sure to buy some tamarind paste, and it will be put to good use tonight because I’m craving for some Pad Thai!

Let’s go and make some! =)

Ingredients: (for about 3-4 servings)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion/ shallots, finely chopped
cooking oil
a handful of bean sprouts (about 1 cup)
1 cup of firm tofu/ tokwa, diced
about 1/3 cup of onion leeks (couldn't find any garlic chives so I subbed this), sliced diagonally
2 eggs
about 2 tbsp of hibi (dried shrimp)
8 pcs. shrimp (you can remove the shells prior to cooking)
3 tbsp of tamarind paste
1/2 cup warm water
4 tbsp of brown sugar
1/4 cup of Thai fish sauce (this has a cleaner taste than our Pinoy Patis)
about 2 handfuls of flat rice noodles; around 120 grams (I used the dry kind)
1 green lemon (lime is ideal, just couldn't find one)
chili flakes to season
roasted crushed peanuts


First, let's soak the flat rice noodles in warm water, for about 20 minutes.


Next, we make the basic Pad Thai sauce. Dissolve 3 tbsp of tamarind paste to 1/2 cup warm water. Add about 4 tbsp of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of fish sauce. (You can adjust this sauce to your liking, more sugar if you want it sweet, or more tamarind paste if you're into sour. Adjust accordingly.)





Transfer the mixture into a saucepan, and bring it to a boil to make sure the sugar and the tamarind paste dissolved evenly. Simmer for a few minutes. Transfer the mixture in a bowl using a strainer, to avoid getting crystals probably from the tamarind paste. Set aside.





I like my tofu with a crunch, so I fry them first.


Now, let's really start rolling! Get your wok really really hot; like medium heat to high heat and pour in enough cooking oil for the garlic and onions.



Follow it with the shrimps.


While stirring constantly, add in the eggs.


Follow it with the hibi (dried shrimp).


Next, put the soaked rice noodles; add some more water if needed to soften the noodles.



Add a ladle or two of the Pad Thai sauce; any left over sauce can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge so keep it.


Add in the veggies: the onion leeks, bean sprouts and lastly the fried firm tofu.




If you want to heat up your Pad Thai, add chili flakes to your liking.


Add at the last minute the crushed roasted peanuts.


Transfer to a serving plate, and serve it with sliced green lemon, fresh bean sprouts and chili flakes. 


Gin tuh! (Let's eat!) =)

Now, I can sleep with a smile on my face as I was able to have my craving. Why don't you try making one too when some Thai craving strikes? =)

Happy Eating! =)

2 komento: