Mytaste.ph

Huwebes, Marso 29, 2012

MONGGO GISADO with MALUNGGAY (Green Mung bean Stew)



Today is Friday; a day regarded with abstinence.

When I was a kid, Friday lunch or dinner meant Monggo Gisado, a classic Filipino dish usually paired with a fish dish, usually any Pritong Isda (Fried fish) or Paksiw (Fish stewed in vinegar).  That is probably the reason I got so fed up with eating this dish that I try to avoid it as much as I can while growing up. But, to no avail, this is my father’s favorite dish so we still have it once a week. My mother usually made it with tinapa (smoked fish) and small shrimps.

 The only thing that got me excited about “monggo day” during those times was when I request from my mother or the cook making them to give me some of the “boiled monggo” before making them into a “Gisado”. I would then mash it a bit, add some powdered milk and sugar and chill it- my instant dessert! =) Ohhhhhh, I am beginning to become nostalgic once more.

It’s been such a long time since I had monggo, and I have to admit, it is only now that I miss it, not necessarily the dish, but specifically my Mom doing this dish for us.

Today, my husband requested for monggo gisado for his lunch, and its good timing that we still have a lot of “malunggay” to use. 

Here's how to do it:

In a pot, boil 1/2 cup of green monngo beans (green mung beans) in 1 1/2 cup water until tender; about 20-30 minutes.


Prepare the perennial ingredients for a Filipino Gisado: 1 small onion, 2 cloves garlic and 1 tomato.


In a sautéing pan, heat some oil, and saute the onion, garlic and tomato. 

(What I had around was some pork belly, so that is what I used, sliced into desired pieces.)

Add pork and cook until done. Then add in HALF of the pork cube/bouillon. 



tip: For a healthier option, use small shrimps rather than pork, you can even use tinapa flakes (smoked fish flakes).

Add the boiled monggo beans and about 1 1/4 cup water; just enough to cover it. 


Simmer for a few minutes. Season with Patis (fish sauce) or salt and pepper. 


Remove from heat and add in the malunggay leaves.


Serve with hot rice. Garnish with chicharon (pork cracklings) if desired.




You can also make this dish for the Holy Week sans the meat. And if you don't have malunggay leaves, you can use spinach or young ampalaya (bitter gourd) leaves.

Happy Eating! =)

3 komento:

  1. keep posting!
    i always drrop by to check ur mouth watering dishes descrptions and pctures! got any chcken recipes?

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Thanks lemony! =) I have a looot of chicken recipes, still saving that after the holy week. keep posted =)

      Burahin
  2. Very informative blog about Dentist. To know more about Dental Treatments, check out Crown Dental and Child Care Dental

    TumugonBurahin