Mytaste.ph

Huwebes, Marso 29, 2012

Super Easy MINI MALUNGGAY QUICHE


I had some leftover phyllo pastry sheets from the trimmings I made for my Pistachio Baklava a week ago, and I had to find some use for it cause it will soon expire. I also have one small swiss cheese in the fridge, one of the goodies I got from a food basket I received last Christmas; and some spare cream cheese.

Apart from these ingredients at hand, I also finally got myself a muffin pan! YAY! I am so excited to use it, I will find any excuse to make use of it. It's perfect making hand-held meals that are just so cute! =)

With all of these reasons, I found myself making some MINI MALUNGGAY QUICHE! =)

Quiche is a savory custard that was adapted from French cuisine and is usually incorporated with some spinach and other cheeses. But we dont have any spinach around so I decided to use Malunggay instead; which are bountiful here - just as nutritious and yummy.


 "Malunggay"

Here's how to do it:

Thaw the phyllo pastry sheets couple of hours before using it; and cut it into squares that will fit your muffin tins perfectly. Set aside.

tip: While the phyllo sheets are still not in use, cover them with a damp towel or a cling wrap to prevent drying them out.


Preheat your oven to 375 F.

Prepare all the fillings you will need for the quiche: a cup of malunggay leaves, about 1/2 cup of shredded swiss cheese, 1 small onion, about 1/4 cup of sliced button mushrooms.

tip: You can use any cheese you have at hand or even add meats such as ham, or bacon.


Next, butter the muffin tins.


After that, make some easy phyllo cups by buttering each square of phyllo sheets layer per layer until you have 6 - 8 total sheets. Press them into the buttered muffin tins.



Afterwards, distribute the malunggay leaves, the sliced onion, shredded cheese, mushroom and crumbled cream cheese to the muffin pan.








In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of milk (I used low fat) and 2 large eggs. Season with your favorite spices. Making quiche is a great way to experiment with your favorite spices!  For my quiche, I seasoned it adding some dashes of cayenne pepper and ground mustard.  



Pour the egg mixture to the muffin pan and allow it to thoroughly seep through every layer of the quiche.


Bake it at the preheated oven of 375F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted to the center of quiche.


The phyllo cups are sooooo crispy so let hem cool a little and be careful when you take them out of the muffin pan. Garnish with parsley if desired.





It's a perfect snack any time of the day! Light, cheesy, savory, crispy and above it all HEALTHY. I think next time I would add MORE Malunggay leaves into this hand-held goodness! =)


another tip: If you don't have any phyllo pastry sheets, sub it with a loaf of bread, cut them into circles or just press them as it is in the muffin pan.

Happy Eating! =)

1 komento: