Mytaste.ph

Sabado, Marso 31, 2012

TOFU and KANGKONG SUSHI


I had a lot of time in my hands yesterday, and got bored that eventually led me to do some experimenting in the kitchen. I was supposed to do the rellenong bangus dish that my husband requested but I was also in a lazy mood and pleaded if I can delay it until tomorrow. So, I just played around with other leftover ingredients I have in the fridge and came up with a healthy sushi that's SUPER EASY to make. =)

Presenting: TOFU and KANGKONG SUSHI with adobo sauce and Japanese Mayo.

Here are the ingredients I used and how I did it: (makes 1 roll)

I first fried some tofu. (We order tofu on a weekly basis and I have to use it within the week. )


Then, made some adobo sauce reduction. In a stockpot, I combined 3 tbsp cane vinegar with a clove of garlic, 2 bay leaves and some ground pepper corns. Placed that into a simmer until liquid has been reduced, then added 1/4 cup soy sauce and seasoned it with a tsp of sugar; simmered it again until most of the liquid has evaporated.  Added 1 tsp of cornstarch diluted in 2 tsp of water and boil until slightly thick.


At this point,  I prepared all the other leftover ingredients I could find in our fridge and pantry: some cooked red rice from lunch that day, some steamed kangkong (water spinach), a piece of nori/seaweed wrapper that we always have in stock, and japanese mayonnaise.


tip: I always cover my bamboo mat with some cling wrap before using it, it will be easier to clean it this way.

First step, placed some adobo sauce reduction to the nori wrapper, followed with some red rice. Topped the rice with 4 slices of fried tofu, drizzled again with adobo sauce.






Topped it with a handful of steamed kangkong (water spinach) and spread some japanese mayo on top of it.




Rolled it! Rolled it good! =)

Voila! A healthy sushi ready to be savored! =)




I really liked how this experiment turned out. The sushi was light yet packed with good flavors. And each bite is GUILT FREE. =)

I am hoping for more experiments like this. =)

Hope you can try this one too, and should you have experiments too in your kitchen, SHARE. =)

Happy Eating! =)

4 (na) komento: